Tuesday, July 8, 2008

"That Old Time Religion"

I love old church buildings. I have been in and around church buildings my whole life. But, the really old ones fascinate me. I often imagine all the families pulling up in a horse and buggy or even in Model T's. All the ladies would have on their big hats and the men in their three piece suits (or their best farmin' clothes). I picture the preacher shouting and wiping his brow from sweating while the church goers fan themselves with the bulletin pages.
Sometimes I wonder what excitement there might have been when a couple of the old time preachers would debate each other some late summer night.
Religion was more important to Americans back in those days. I would like to have seen some of that history with my own eyes. But, at least for now, I can look at the old church buildings.

No comments: